Infant/Toddler | Twos | 3,4, & 5 K | School age
In the Two Year Old Little Explorers classroom, the learning and nurturing continue while classroom activities become more structured to help prepare the children for the Preschool Program. They follow the same curriculum taught in the Preschool Program, at an age-appropriate level. We spend a good deal of time teaching and reinforcing colors, shapes, counting, and alphabet, but the most important lessons learned are the social skills acquired in this classroom. Taking turns, nice touches, walking feet, sharing, cooperation, and manners are the focus of many group and individual activities daily in this classroom. Our teachers also emphasize language development to assist the children in better expressing themselves. Two year olds are enthusiastic learners so they are taught self care skills such as hand washing, potty training, and being good classroom helpers.
"We were very particular about choosing daycare for Connor. Little Red was the only place we felt comfortable leaving him. We feel we are very lucky to have Little Red. Connor has been going there since he was three months old and is now two. He is so happy and so are we. There are lots of activities and a wonderful outside area. The teachers are great. Connor learns a lot and plays a lot. Thanks Little Red." - Connor's mom
Features of the Two Year Old Program
- strengthening social skills so your child becomes a cooperative and well-mannered classmate
- balance of nurturing, playtime, and learning throughout the day
- monthly thematic units that provide a rich array of daily activities and a variety of experiences
- balance of experiences including group time, discovery time, teacher-directed and child-directed activities
- learning areas that focus on dramatic play, creative arts, language development, and sensory exploration
- development of confidence, self-esteem, and a love of learning
- regular communication with teachers so that you are informed about your child's day
- ample time for routines such as lunch, snack, naptime, and toileting
- daily blocks of outdoor time (weather permitting)
What Your Two Year Old's Day is Like
Your two year old will begin the day with room exploration and group activities, such as singing a group song or exploring a book with the class. Then the teachers will introduce the main concept of the day through discussions, stories, songs, flash cards, or other means. A few children will then begin work on an art project relating to the current theme, while the rest of the class engages in child-directed and/or teacher-directed activities (discovery time) within different interest centers located throughout the classroom.
Throughout the day the class gets together for story-time and circle-time.
A rest period will be provided to prevent the children from becoming over-stimulated and fatigued.
Your two year old will also engage in manipulative activities to develop fine and gross motor skills. When the weather permits, the children will go outside for some more active play and to explore the great outdoors. A special enclosed area is dedicated to our younger children.